Wednesday 9 January 2013

One of my new year's resolutions...

I have a few resolutions for 2013 but experience has taught me to be realistic. 

I will not be training for a marathon and eat 1000 calories a day for the rest of the year. 

I am just going to be balanced and moderate.

I used to do yoga in manic but sporadic bursts.  I would do nothing for months and then go into a bootcamp like frenzy doing two classes a day.  So this is part of my new daily yoga routine.  

Keepin' it real folks. Slowly but surely.

It is called - Viparita Karani - Legs up the wall.

You can do this anywhere - at home, if you have your own office, at school.

Against the wall in the corridor.


Living room.

Outside in the garden or against a tree in the park.

This is such a simple pose.  I do this while I watch my TV shows. 

 It is really lazy and very passive but it is also so beneficial for you.

To really prepare yourself for a deep sleep - it is better to close your eyes and calm your mind.

BENEFITS OF POSTURE

-  This prevents varicose veins and edema.

-  It soothes your nerves and slows your system down.

-  It relieves minor headaches, and backaches.

-  It could ease insomnia.

-  Alleviates menstrual cramps.

-  Improves digestion.

BUT DO NOT DO THIS POSE IF 

You have Glaucoma

You have a neck or back injury


If you find this a little tough on the abs - people do use a bolster or a pillow for extra support like this.

You could use any pillow or roll up a blanket.


If you get really good you can do it this way.

Not as relaxing but you get extra yogi points.

Namaste. Om. Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I've been doing yoga for years (well on and off, to be honest), and I don't know why I never thought of doing the first pose whenever. I did the second one in classes all the time, but I think I'm going to go do that pose now. As in right now. And I'm with you! Slowly but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing 'sporadic yoga' for a while now too but really need to get more of a routine going so I may add it to my resolution list :)
    Also thanks for all your comments and for leading us back to your blog, I'm sad though that I finished all my 'fish cakes' before getting to grill one! Will have to wait until the summer as I don't know where to find them in London! !

    ReplyDelete